I, FilmMaker

Friday, September 29, 2006

What Are You Waiting For?


I work a day job. It's in the entertainment industry but it's still not doing what I want to do. Right now I'm essentially a post supervisor. What would I like to be doing? Writing and directing some kind of movie.

Who do I blame? Me.

Fortunately, there's still hope. I have made one indy feature and it seems like right now I'll be able to get it out there on home video within the next 6 months. And having done it once I think I'll be able to do it again. But I really wish I'd done it sooner.

If I could replay my 20s all over again I would have started making my first feature as soon as I left film-school. Because no one really ever thinks of you as a "director" until you've directed something. So a word to the wise. If you really want to be a film-maker think scrappy and get started right away with actually making a film.

This is not to say you shouldn't move to Hollywood and start pitching your first feature script around town. You should. Someone might buy it and you'll be on your way. That's totally kick ass! But that also might not happen. In fact, make that probably won't.

You don't have to wait for someone at a studio to hand you a three picture deal. If no one buys your first script start a 2nd one that you can shoot for no budget on DV with your buddies. Submit it to festivals and promote it. Send it to FilmThreat.com and get it reviewed. Create a track record for yourself. See if you can't get it out on home video.

Then move onto the next one. And the next one. When you have a few features under your belt you'll find studio folks a lot more attentive when you pitch them your dream project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home